Monday, June 13, 2016

When we were in Albany (was it only a week ago? It feels like forever!) we popped into St Joseph's Catholic Church. Not to attend mass - just for a bit of a sticky. St Joseph's was built in 1877 - this was a nice little coincidence because the last time I visited St Joseph's was in 1977 during the Saint Pius X Year 7 camp (now that was a long time ago!)
The thing that struck me most about St Joseph's, apart from its beautiful vaulted hull-like ceiling, were the red-hot pokers (I love them and have them in my garden) arranged so beautifully in front of the statues of Mary, Joseph and co!
Apologies to Joseph for chopping off his head. I'd offer up a Hail Mary, but somehow that doesn't seem quite right...poor old Joseph, he always gets a raw deal!
I love the symmetry of those candlesticks, et al. 
Here's that ceiling I mentioned...you can just make out Anthony pondering his days in the Melbourne Grammar School choir. Not.
I like the juxtaposition here. Pope someone-or-other and leopard print cushion. Nice.
The doors to the confessional remind me of your front door Dana ;)
Where I used to spend all my pocket money! Remember I'm the kid who wanted to be a Nun when I grew up!

I think this is a good place to end, don't you :)

Thanks for reading x









6 comments:

  1. I love a good Catholic post don't ya know! I am convinced afresh we are sisters separated at birth...I ADORE red hot pokers and your photos are wonderful. I also have fond memories of the piety stall. My brothers and I would spend our limited funds and then run round to the back of the sacristy hoping to catch Father coming out and ask him to Bless our stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never walk in these front doors again without thinking of a confessional! I grew up Southern Baptist, so I'm going to have to find out more about piety stalls. I was a bit of a hellion, so I doubt I would have spent much time there. ;) I love the red hot pokers. I had never seen them before.

    By the way, I have to tell you how glad I am that you're posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pokers are HOT! I have a aloe vera, I'm thinking that's what they are, but mine's not flowering yet, boo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nun ....wow!
    These churches are such a treat to go and take in.....we did it in Brisbane in January but we found ourselves smack in the middle of a lunchtime communion service.....I found that just a fascinating as the building itself. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you wanted to be a nun, little Kylie! My friend Angela did too. Quite appropriate really because she is a bit of an angel. What a lovely church, red hot pokers, leopard print cushion and all. Did you light a candle? I always like to do that and think about the people who are gone. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love looking around churches, even though it reminds me of confession when I was little, all those Hail Marys I had to say for penance haha

    ReplyDelete